The following Linux distributions are supported by Enswitch:
- Ubuntu 18.04 or newer: If you have no strong preference as to Linux distribution, we suggest the latest Ubuntu LTS.
- CentOS 7 or newer: Asterisk 16 cannot be compiled on CentOS. Use Asterisk 13 instead.
- Debian GNU/Linux 9.0 or newer: No issues.
- Redhat Enterprise Linux 7 or newer: Requires Redhat subscription.
When installing machines, please note the following:
- If possible, please configure the disks as RAID1 for reliability. If the machine has 4 disks, please use 2 as RAID1 for the root filesystem, and 2 as RAID1 for a separate filesystem for the database or NFS files. Database filesystems should be mounted on /var/lib/mysql, and NFS filesystems on /var/lib/enswitch.
- Please use a fresh Linux installation.
- Please install the minimum set of packages to get the machines on the internet, plus:
- An SSH daemon so we can connect in remotely.
- A mail transport agent (MTA) such as Postfix, Exim, or Sendmail. Please test that each machine can send emails to internet addresses, and that the headers on the emails are correct.
- Hostnames must be lower-case only, match the machines' DNS entries, and be unique within the Enswitch cluster.
- Please do not create an "enswitch" user; the Enswitch installer expects to create this user for daemons to run as.
- Do not install Asterisk, Kamailio, MySQL, or Apache. The Enswitch installation process will install fresh versions. If these are already installed, we will ask you to wipe the machine and re-install Linux.
- If your Linux distribution automatically installs any extra daemons such as X windows or network servers, please disable them. This improves both performance and security.
- Please use static (not DHCP) IP addresses only.
- Please disable ACPI in the BIOS settings or grub menu.
- Please put the machines directly on the internet, not behind a firewall, even if the firewall claims to support SIP. Please have the public IP addresses configured on the servers themselves rather than on a machine in front of them. We configure iptables based firewalling on each machine as a standard part of the installation.